Skip to main content

My Work Space

Almost two years ago, my husband and I built our dream house. We had bought the land 10 years earlier, but personal circumstances prevented us from building on it until just 3 1/2 years ago.

I love our house and the neighborhood that surrounds it. When we're here we feel far removed from the hustle and bustle of city life, yet it is only a 35 minute commute to work. My husband and I planned every little space in our house and we're proud of how it turned out.

But, there is one little detail that we have not been able to work out to our mutual satisfaction - work spaces for both of us.

Since my husband works from home, he needs an office space where he can spread out his things without worrying about tidying up right away. Although I don't work from home, my school work and doctorate require a similar amount of space.

What to do?

For a while we shared the office space, which doubles as a family room. However, my husband is unable to keep to his side of the desk space that we had planned on sharing. His papers, bills, and folders are strewn all over the desk. Once he surprised me by putting everything away in drawers, but it wasn't long before he was back to spreading out his things from one end of the desk to the other. I actually sat at my side of the desk a few times before I was crowded out. Then, I sat at the dining room table a few times, but I didn't appreciate having to clean up after I was done.

My husband decided that the solution to my not having a space at the table, so to speak, would be to build me an office in front of our house. According to him, there was plenty of room to do that and then all our problems would be solved. Of course, I convinced him that it was cheaper and easier to simply clean up his mess than spend $20,000 to make an addition to our house. Fortunately for all of us, he has heeded my advice...for now.

I still needed a space in which to work. So, we have improvised a space in our bedroom until we can purchase a proper work desk. I'd much rather be in the family room, of course, but I prefer having a different area in which to work than nagging my husband to clean up our supposedly mutual work area. You'd think we could come up with an acceptable solution to allow both of us to use the family room office area, but that has not happened.

While writing this slice, I chuckled remembering our discussions about how to accommodate suitable work spaces for both of us. Fortunately, we've come up with a plan that just may work. At least, I hope so...

Cross posted to Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life March Challenge, Day #14.



  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Partner Reading and Content, Too Routine (PRC2)

I'm a hoarder. There, I've said it. I try to deny that I'm a hoarder but it comes back to haunt me every time I move houses, or pack up my classroom at the end of the school year. I have old articles, lesson plans, handouts, folders brimming with teaching ideas, past issues of profesional journals. I hardly throw anything out though I've learned to be more selective over the years. My one rule of thumb, and I really try to stick to this, is that if I haven't used or referred to something in a year, then it's time to toss it into the recycle bin. One exception to this rule (you knew this was coming, didn't you?) is past issues of journals from professional organizations. However, with the ability to locate articles online through my professional memberships, even this exception is becoming less and less useful, which brings me to the topic of this blog post. I am currently reading a copy of The Reading Teacher from 2010. I've clipped a cou

The Reading Strategies Book - Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension

The strategy lessons highlighted in Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension, in The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo are critical to students’ engagement and comprehension, as well as their ability to write literary essays, or even book reviews, summaries and reflective pieces about books. If students aren’t able to talk about books in a way that is invigorating and joyful, they will be less likely to develop an interest in growing ideas for writing about books. In her introduction to this chapter, Jennifer Serravallo, reminds us that when conversations go well, children are inspired by what they read and are motivated to keep reading. However, when conversations fall flat, then kids get bored and tune out. How do we avoid this situation and teach kids to  have  focused conversations about books?  The answer is easy: teach kids  strategies to help them develop effective conversational skills .  As in

Are we listening?

A child sits alone with a ripped worksheet packet on his desk. He appears to be singing or subvocalizing something though no one hears him. Or, perhaps they're ignoring him. The teacher stands at the front of the room teaching on the SmartBoard. The children follow along in their worksheets. Except the child sitting alone. He is in his own world. No one engages him and he engages no one. My heart aches for this child. He is physically and emotionally removed from the class. I ask him why his paper is ripped. (It's not an accidental rip.) He says he did that on a different day. When he had been frustrated about the work. He tells me that he sometimes sits by himself because the work is too hard for him. He later tells me that he sits by himself because the teacher thinks he talks too much during the lesson.  He says he does that because he wants to find out about the "lives of the other children". My first impulse is to rescue him from the wrongheade