Skip to main content

Book Review: Awakened by Angela Watson

     Schools tend to be spaces of conflict that arise between adults, between children, and between adults and children.  Although this is not necessarily a bad thing, everyday situations can quickly escalate if we don't know how to respond to them in a productive manner.  Problems about who has power and what they want to over-power, are some of the most contentious conflicts that come up in schools.  At these times, some people move to the forefront as the popular ones in the pecking order, be they adults or students, and usually for the wrong reasons.  (We might even consider parents in this scenario, as well.)  However, teachers who are aware of the damaging potential of these situations, and who are true professionals, know that these issues get in the way of true teaching and learning.  Yet, happen they do, with or without our consent.  And, more often than not, we participate in these events, consciously or unconsciously.  In Awakened, Angela Watson tries to provide teachers with strategies and techniques for how to handle these situations with aplomb and "smarts".  How can we take care of ourselves, be the professionals we know we are, and do the best job possible as teachers and learners in our school site?


  By becoming conscious of what we are doing and by being aware of our negative thoughts and feelings about a situation, we can control our reactions to, and the extent of our participation in, the conflicts that will emerge in schools whether or not we agree with the issue at hand.  In other words, we can transform negative thoughts to positive ones by changing our minds, literally and figuratively.  Letting go of negativity and employing mindful breathing techniques, for example, have a calming effect on our minds, allowing us to make better choices for ourselves and others.
  Often, the underlying issue has to do with fairness.  Is it fair that the same students always get picked to go to the office?  Is it fair that the teacher always selects the same table to get ready for work?  Is it fair that a teacher who is clearly (and publicly) insubordinate gets a "promotion"?  Is it fair that some people don't get recognized for the work they do?
  And, it's about recognition.  Why do certain people get publicly recognized (and sometimes rewarded) for doing their job?  Why do certain children always get a smile and a nod from their teachers while others rarely or never do?  What is this new mandate from the school board?  It doesn't make sense.  Don't I have enough work to do already?
  All of these situations create stress and conflict.  They wear teachers down.  And, in some ways, it happens with our permission. Our responses to what happens in schools, including planned and unplanned events, can be logical or, conversely, position us in a reactive mode.  Over time, these re-actions are what trigger stress and, eventually, burnout.  How can we change this mindset?
  If I've read Angela Watson's book correctly, including some of the other spiritual reading I've been doing, then, as a first step, an awareness that this is happening is of utmost importance.  Then, we need to make a conscious effort to acknowledge that the other person or event is not in charge of our minds and how we react to challenging situations.  In fact, we are in charge of our world, to paraphrase a book with a similar title.  And, once we've settled on this simple truth, then we need to consciously work on recognizing that our reactions, thoughts, and feelings are of our own doing and can be our un-doing, as well.  This understanding facilitates acting appropriately to ensure that how we view and act in the world is consistent with a sense of compassion (understanding) and self-awareness:  by understanding our minds and taking care of ourselves we can extend this understanding and care to others.  This may sound simple in theory, but it is difficult to put into practice.  However, once we're aware (or awakened), there is no turning back; while we may occasionally fall short of managing our reactions to thorny situations, we can try again the next time with the awareness that this is a healthier response for everyone involved.  A spiritual leader I know recently said, "what we're called to do every day is create new beginnings," or in the popular parlance of the day, "this is the first day of the rest of your life."
     I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Awakened and try out some of the ideas put forth by Angela.  See for yourself how you can manage your reactions and, thereby, your life and health, today and beyond.

Comments

Angela Watson said…
Thank you, Elisa, for the thoughtful review! It's so interesting to hear the pieces that spoke to you most. That piece of awareness and compassion (both for yourself and others) is so critical. I have not read the Dalai Lama's book but I am glad to see that it fit well with what you read in Awakened. I'll have to check that out. :-)
Unknown said…
Hi Angela. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. To tell you the truth, I don't feel I did justice to the impact your book had on me but I was so overdue in posting a review that I decided it was time to make it public. Unfortunately, in my haste to get this done I forgot to post an image of the cover. I will fix that and update the post. At the time I was reading your book I was also doing other readings, and exploring my spirituality. What I wrote in this post is a sum of everything that I've been thinking over the last few months.

Popular posts from this blog

Partner Reading and Content, Too Routine (PRC2)

I'm a hoarder. There, I've said it. I try to deny that I'm a hoarder but it comes back to haunt me every time I move houses, or pack up my classroom at the end of the school year. I have old articles, lesson plans, handouts, folders brimming with teaching ideas, past issues of profesional journals. I hardly throw anything out though I've learned to be more selective over the years. My one rule of thumb, and I really try to stick to this, is that if I haven't used or referred to something in a year, then it's time to toss it into the recycle bin. One exception to this rule (you knew this was coming, didn't you?) is past issues of journals from professional organizations. However, with the ability to locate articles online through my professional memberships, even this exception is becoming less and less useful, which brings me to the topic of this blog post. I am currently reading a copy of The Reading Teacher from 2010. I've clipped a cou

The Reading Strategies Book - Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension

The strategy lessons highlighted in Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension, in The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo are critical to students’ engagement and comprehension, as well as their ability to write literary essays, or even book reviews, summaries and reflective pieces about books. If students aren’t able to talk about books in a way that is invigorating and joyful, they will be less likely to develop an interest in growing ideas for writing about books. In her introduction to this chapter, Jennifer Serravallo, reminds us that when conversations go well, children are inspired by what they read and are motivated to keep reading. However, when conversations fall flat, then kids get bored and tune out. How do we avoid this situation and teach kids to  have  focused conversations about books?  The answer is easy: teach kids  strategies to help them develop effective conversational skills .  As in

Are we listening?

A child sits alone with a ripped worksheet packet on his desk. He appears to be singing or subvocalizing something though no one hears him. Or, perhaps they're ignoring him. The teacher stands at the front of the room teaching on the SmartBoard. The children follow along in their worksheets. Except the child sitting alone. He is in his own world. No one engages him and he engages no one. My heart aches for this child. He is physically and emotionally removed from the class. I ask him why his paper is ripped. (It's not an accidental rip.) He says he did that on a different day. When he had been frustrated about the work. He tells me that he sometimes sits by himself because the work is too hard for him. He later tells me that he sits by himself because the teacher thinks he talks too much during the lesson.  He says he does that because he wants to find out about the "lives of the other children". My first impulse is to rescue him from the wrongheade