Skip to main content

Alfie Kohn

Yesterday, at Teacher's Convention in Calgary, I heard Alfie Kohn speak. Although I've read articles he has written I had never seen him in person. If you ever get the chance to attend one of his lectures don't walk, run, to see him!

He is passionate about children and teachers. He wants to keep classroom tasks authentic and connected to students' lives. He is anti-grades and anti-testing but he doesn't just leave it at that. He supports teachers as knowledgeable professionals who know their students best. He asserts that the research says, and I've been at several assessment sessions that support this position, that before high school there is no need to give grades or tests. A case can be made for high school simply because that is how colleges still admit students: partially on the basis of their grades. However, before grade 9 it is more beneficial to students' learning if they aren't given grades but are provided with timely and specific feedback. Although we need to assess and evaluate children we don't need to do it at the expense of learning; there are other tools we can use to determine what students know, have learned, and where they might need to go next.

Kohn claims that the purpose of standardized testing, in the U.S. and Canada, is to control teachers and students. I couldn't agree with him more. The threat of standardized tests looms over teachers and students like a heavy cloud. Since we know we have to administer these tests and that the scores are publicized we often end up teaching to the test. As a result, we end up compromising what is important and appropriate for children to learn based on their needs and interests at any given time.

I felt validated in what I do in my classroom and was one in an audience of over 1,000 people who stood up and gave him a standing ovation.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Elisa,
Thank you so much for introducing Mr. Kohn to me.
I also want to give YOU a standing ovation!!!
Keep writing and sharing your passion with others!
Barbara
Unknown said…
Hi Barbara,
Thank you for your kind comments.
Elisa
Anonymous said…
Hi,
Thanks for sharing your blog link on the DWS site. I have bought a lot of AK's books , read his articles and follow him on twitter. I came to DWS to learn more about it and later to engage in discussion. I get the feeling Kerry is blocking my posts , too much of AK and CPS-http://thinkkids.org
shows up serious short comings with DWS
AK has 2 links from his schools book on reading and math.
I am looking for forums that discuss ' constructivist education.
A blog I like to read - technology and eduction - Sylvia Martinez shared Constance kammii on math , I saw you had a blog on maths
http://blog.genyes.com/index.php/2008/08/20/questioning-assumptions-with-constance-kamii/

I really identify with AK on reading - whole language with phonetics introduced within the context of a story. I taught my kid to read english as a 2nd language - could read hebrew which was very phonetic. I dis not teach him the names of the letters , except the names of the vowels , need for the fairy e rule , and a few combinations. He caught on pretty fast , 3 lessons - but it became a game to read without mistakes , he was not interested in undertanding what he was reading.

Enjoy your summer break

Allan
Unknown said…
Hi Allan,
I do remember your comments on the DWS site. I always appreciated your point of view. I'm not sure I ever posted anything during these conversations; at the time I was really busy and your responses were so well thought out that I wanted to respond in kind and I just didn't have the time. It would be too bad if your posts are being blocked on the DWS listserv. I enjoy the discussions there though I know my philosophy of teaching doesn't always match some of the posts I read. I think that the DWS model has a lot going for it and I also like what I know of Responsive Classroom. I really admire Alfie Kohn.

Thanks for posting. Come back again, soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Partner Reading and Content, Too Routine (PRC2)

I'm a hoarder. There, I've said it. I try to deny that I'm a hoarder but it comes back to haunt me every time I move houses, or pack up my classroom at the end of the school year. I have old articles, lesson plans, handouts, folders brimming with teaching ideas, past issues of profesional journals. I hardly throw anything out though I've learned to be more selective over the years. My one rule of thumb, and I really try to stick to this, is that if I haven't used or referred to something in a year, then it's time to toss it into the recycle bin. One exception to this rule (you knew this was coming, didn't you?) is past issues of journals from professional organizations. However, with the ability to locate articles online through my professional memberships, even this exception is becoming less and less useful, which brings me to the topic of this blog post. I am currently reading a copy of The Reading Teacher from 2010. I've clipped a cou

The Reading Strategies Book - Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension

The strategy lessons highlighted in Chapter 12, Supporting Students’ Conversations – Speaking, Listening, and Deepening Comprehension, in The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo are critical to students’ engagement and comprehension, as well as their ability to write literary essays, or even book reviews, summaries and reflective pieces about books. If students aren’t able to talk about books in a way that is invigorating and joyful, they will be less likely to develop an interest in growing ideas for writing about books. In her introduction to this chapter, Jennifer Serravallo, reminds us that when conversations go well, children are inspired by what they read and are motivated to keep reading. However, when conversations fall flat, then kids get bored and tune out. How do we avoid this situation and teach kids to  have  focused conversations about books?  The answer is easy: teach kids  strategies to help them develop effective conversational skills .  As in

Are we listening?

A child sits alone with a ripped worksheet packet on his desk. He appears to be singing or subvocalizing something though no one hears him. Or, perhaps they're ignoring him. The teacher stands at the front of the room teaching on the SmartBoard. The children follow along in their worksheets. Except the child sitting alone. He is in his own world. No one engages him and he engages no one. My heart aches for this child. He is physically and emotionally removed from the class. I ask him why his paper is ripped. (It's not an accidental rip.) He says he did that on a different day. When he had been frustrated about the work. He tells me that he sometimes sits by himself because the work is too hard for him. He later tells me that he sits by himself because the teacher thinks he talks too much during the lesson.  He says he does that because he wants to find out about the "lives of the other children". My first impulse is to rescue him from the wrongheade